Saturday, May 26, 2012

Food

Ahh, the delicate topic of food.  For a person with an eating disorder, whether eating too much or not enough, food is tricky.  Unlike other addictions, you can’t give up food.  I’ve learned to manage my “diet” (I know people hate that word, but all other animals have diets and food intake is too long to write out) pretty well over the last 6 months.  I do not follow any type of diet that restricts me from eating anything.  I’ve tried that before, and although it worked for a short period of time, I found it doesn’t work in the long haul for me…. And my ultimate objective is to have a “long haul” so to speak.

I joined Weight Watchers (WW) the first week of January this year.  I love the plan because it forces you to track your food intake and encourages eating to live and eating healthy, satisfying, nourishing foods. Fruits and most vegetables are considered free foods, so you can eat as much as you like.  The new plan assigns a points value to each and every food calculated by the fat, protein, fiber and carbohydrate content of the food.  I go to a meeting at the same time every week to weigh in and listen to the topics; it’s really helpful.  The one gripe I have about the plan is that it doesn’t encourage exercise enough. 

After a few months of WW I decided to really start tracking (and increasing) my lean protein intake.  Once I got to the point where I was exercising intensely, I found I needed and wanted more protein increase to build, maintain and repair muscle mass.  After all, the more muscle you have, the bigger your fat burning engine is!  I started tracking using the iPhone app, My Fitness Pal and increased my protein intake to 120 g of protein per day and ate about 1300-1400 total calories per day. I did NOT cut out carbs, but did decrease them after 3PM.  Though my weight loss has been slow, I’ve been shrinking at a rapid rate.  This tells me that what I’m doing to increase my muscle mass and burn more fat is working. 

Do I occasionally have a margarita or a burger or even pizza and cake? Of course I do!  I don’t think you can deprive yourself of the things you really like for very long before you hit a breaking point and overindulge or quit all together.  I have learned to find healthier alternatives of the treats I like (side note: Crystal Light makes some really tasty drink mixers)  and if there isn’t a healthy alternative, I cut the rest of my daily calories way back and get in some extra calorie burning exercise to make up for it.  It’s all about balance. 

To those I’ve spoken to that say, “I’d love to do what you’re doing, but I like to eat.” I say, so do I….but you can’t eat 2500+ calories per day as an overweight person and expect to lose weight….not unless you’re willing to run 10 miles a day to burn off the thousand extra calories you’re consuming.  And my friend, after eating a ginormous, cheese-covered burrito with all the fixins, trust me you won’t want to run 10 miles.

I know that’s a vague overview of my diet, and if you’re interested in any details I am always happy to share and help.  My email is mandellah@gmail.com, FB name is Mandi Curran Benecke and my cell is 720-384-6572 if you are ever out and would like to text.  I share all of this because other people shared with me and it helped me get to where I am now.  I am eternally grateful and would love nothing more than to help and inspire those who are on or would like to be on this journey with me.  Cheers friends, to a gorgeous holiday weekend!  Get out and enjoy some fresh fruit, turkey burgers and a nice swim or jog, because YOU are worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment